Journey House Facelift
Saturday, February 18, 8:00 a.m.
Do you enjoy seeing the before and after pictures of a house renovation? Here’s a chance to be involved in one! In 2009 the church purchased and renovated the house known as Journey House. Since then, it has been where our youth meet and where numerous family reunions, wedding showers, baby showers, various church staff retreats, Landis Homes team retreats, Bible studies, and small group meetings have happened. Many, many memories and plans have been created here over the last 13+ years. Currently, the Casa de Amor y Misericordia church meets there every Friday evening and Sunday morning.
The Journey House has been well used and is long overdue for some attention to the interior, and that begins Saturday, February 18. Grab your tools and join Project Manager, Lowell Jantzi, Bob Bear, and our youth in removing damaged furniture, countertops, and floor covering in preparation for drywall repair, painting, floor covering, and a new look in the kitchen. Contact Lowell if you have any questions.
Chili & Dessert Bowl
Sunday, February 26, 2023
To bring a chili or dessert, register HERE.
For many years the youth have hosted this event as a fundraiser for their mission trips, etc. later in the year. Here's how it works.
You are invited to bring in your favorite chili or dessert that Sunday morning for all to enjoy. Bring it to the kitchen as soon as you arrive Sunday morning where you will be assigned a number to be posted by your chili or dessert.
After the service, everyone will be invited to the Fellowship Hall to sample the food and "vote" for their favorite by placing money in the cup provided at each place. One dollar equals one vote. Baked potatoes and other condiments are provided to accompany the chili. Theoretically, the voting is anonymous, but each year there seems to be some pre-voting shenanigans and lobbying that happens. Mennonites can get very competitive about their chili and desserts, it seems! The voting usually winds down by 12:30 or 1:00 p.m. The chili and dessert with the most votes are announced and proclaimed the winner for 2023.
Regardless of the outcome, there is a buzz in the air and smiles all around as this is one of the highlights of the winter season in our church life. Register to bring a dessert or chili HERE, or simply plan to attend and support this fun event.
Anabaptism at 500
To mark the 500th anniversary of the founding of the Mennonite Church, the Anabaptist Bible project has launched "Anabaptism at 500". This effort is an attempt to create an NIV Bible containing "helps" based on the collective discussion of members of the current Mennonite Church modeled after the biblically-based discussions among spiritually searching Swiss believers in the 16th century. These discussions based on their understanding of Bibles that they could own and read for themselves resulted in the formation of the Anabaptist movement, from which sprang the Mennonite Church.
Today's effort intends to involve the entire North American Church in a process of creating commentaries and notes from 21st Century Christians to add to a bible for 21st Century Christians.
To be part of this effort you must
- form or join a group
- go on the Anabaptism at 500 website to register the group
- receive then read your 3 assigned passages
- meet at least 4 times to read and study together, using the 5 prompts, given with the 3 passages, to guide your study.
- send in your insights, applications and questions.
If you form a group or are interested in joining a group, please contact Alan Miller or Steve Landis so that we can plug you into a group or plug into your group an individual or couple who wants to join a group.
the Sunday School Support Committee
Wednesday Night Out – Spring 2023
The Wednesday Night Out (WNO) Team has been working hard to create opportunities for us to connect. The plan is to have two meals a month, prepared and served in the Fellowship Hall.
The meal sign-up is under the Registration menu above.
Also happening on Wednesday evenings are:
- Bell Choir Rehearsal (6:00 p.m., Sanctuary)
- Prayer Group (7:00 p.m., room 209)
- Choir Rehearsal (7:00 p.m., Sanctuary)
- Jr. High Youth Group (room 8)
- Sr. High Youth Group (Journey House)
- Worship Team rehearsal (8:00 p.m., Sanctuary).
Music has long been valued and appreciated at NMC. Here are several opportunities to participate in the music of our faith and this church.
- Adult Choir - The Adult Choir sings approx. once a month in worship from Sept. thru April, including Christmas Eve and Easter Sunday. We have a great time singing, learning, and having fellowship with one another. No experience is necessary and all voice types are welcome! Rehearsals are every Wednesday from 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM in the Sanctuary.
- Bell Choir - We need at least two more people in order to have a Bell Choir this year. The Bell Choir plays approx. once a month in worship from Sept. thru. April. We enjoy, playing and learning. No experience and minimal musical knowledge is required. Rehearsals are every Wednesday from 6:00 PM - 6:45 PM in the Sanctuary.
- Worship Team - Worship Team members play approx. once a month in worship year-round. We are in need of drummers, guitarists, keyboardists (or pianists), bass players, and singers. There is an informal, low-pressure audition process. Singers and instrumentalists only need to be beyond beginner level to play on the team. Rehearsals are Wednesdays at 8:00 PM during the school year.
Please contact Rashard Allen at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Wednesday Prayer Group
Wednesday evenings, 7:00 p.m., Room 103
Meeting in-person in room 209. Take the elevator to the second floor, turn left, first door on the right.
Men's Prayer Group
Thursday mornings, 6:00 a.m., Journey House
We are meeting in person, sharing prayer concerns, and praying for each other, followed by a time of Bible study. We look forward to you joining us!
You are invited and encouraged to worship in the location, home or sanctuary, that works best for you. The important part is that you worship! So, set your mind at ease, pick up your remote control or your car keys, and join us for worship. Online at https://www.youtube.com/user/NeffsvilleMennonite or in-person at 2371 Lititz Pike, Lancaster, PA. God will meet you where you are.
Sunday, at 10:00 a.m. in the sanctuary, we will gather together for worship. Here is a brief summary:
- Mask use will be at the discretion of each individual or family. (updated 5/19/2021)
- The bulletin is available in paper form and will continue to be available via the church email distribution list or church website.
- Planning to bring a financial gift? An offering plate will be located at the back of the sanctuary.
- Seating: All pews are now open for seating.
- Coffee is again available. Come to the Fellowship Hall, where a team will serve coffee to you.